Your mouth has many important functions. It allows you to eat and speak. Your mouth enables you to communicate effectively. It allows you to smile confidently. To ensure that your mouth can function optimally, it is important that you take good care of it. OHIOSmiles can help you to develop an oral hygiene routine that helps you keep your mouth happy, healthy, and beautiful.
Signs Of Oral Health Issues
There are some different signs that your oral hygiene routine is not what it should be. These signs include:
- Red, swollen gums.
- Gums that bleed when you brush and floss your teeth.
- Chronic bad breath.
- You have had, or continue to develop, cavities in your teeth.
Brushing should be done at least twice a day, for two full minutes each time. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and a fluoridated toothpaste. Angle your toothbrush toward your gums at 45-degrees and move your toothbrush gently back and forth against the surfaces of your teeth. Make sure that you brush all front surfaces of your teeth as well as the tops and backs of your teeth.
Flossing should be done at least once daily. Use approximately 18-inches of floss and wind it around your middle fingers, leaving about one inch exposed. Gently work the floss back and forth to get it between the teeth and scrape up and down the sides of each tooth. Use a new section of floss for each area. Make sure that you also floss behind your very back teeth. If you do not have the manual dexterity to use regular floss, floss picks can also be helpful.
Dental Cleanings And Exams
In addition to brushing and flossing, you should also have your teeth professionally cleaned and examined twice a year. During your cleanings, we clean all surfaces of your teeth, including the ones that you may have a hard time cleaning on your own. Cleanings are designed to help prevent the development of serious oral health issues. During your exams, we look over your teeth and gums, checking for the early warning signs of issues such as cavities and gum disease. By detecting issues early, we can provide you with treatment to prevent them from worsening, preventing the development of potentially serious complications.
Other Tips For Maintaining Oral Health
There are other things that you can do to maintain optimal oral health. These include:
- Using mouthwash. Mouthwash can help to kill lingering bacteria, remove loose debris from between your teeth, and provide you with clean, fresh breath.
- Clean your tongue. Your tongue can trap bacteria, which can contribute to issues even though you brush and floss your teeth. There are a few different ways that you can clean your tongue. You can use your toothbrush and toothpaste. You can also use a specially designed tongue cleaner. No matter how you clean your tongue, make sure that you rinse your mouth out when you have finished.
- Avoid tobacco products.
- Make sure that you eat a healthy, well-balanced diet.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your oral hygiene routine, we are here to help you. Call OHIOSmiles at (740) 439-2501 for more information and to schedule your appointment today.