Brushing and flossing are two essential daily habits for preventing serious oral health complications. However, these two habits are only a part of the equation. Regular dental cleanings and exams are also essential. If an oral health issue does occur, getting treatment right away is crucial. However, if the idea of going to the dentist, even for simple cleaning and exam, fills you with fear, you might decide to skip out, an action that can jeopardize your oral health. OHIOSmiles can help with sedation and our warm, comfortable environment.
What Happens Without Dental Treatment?
When a dental issue arises, it is essential that you seek treatment immediately. However, if you are afraid of the dentist, you may try to avoid going at all costs. You might think that your symptoms are not that bad or that the issue will go away on its own. The truth, however, is that most dental issues do not disappear on their own. Instead, they often tend to grow worse over time. As issues worsen, you may be faced with very weak teeth, bone loss, and tooth loss. Some issues can even allow bacteria to get into your bloodstream, where they can then spread throughout the body, causing significant complications such as heart disease.
How Does Sedation Work?
Whether you feel a little anxious about getting dental treatment or you are downright petrified, sedation can help. Dentistry under sedation involves the use of sedation to help you feel more relaxed and comfortable in the chair so that we can provide you with the necessary treatment. There are different levels of sedation that can be provided based on your needs.
- Minimal. This is the lightest form of sedation. With this type of sedation, you are completely conscious, just very relaxed.
- Moderate. Moderate sedation is a conscious form of sedation that makes you feel sleepy. Many patients, while still conscious through their procedures, report temporary amnesia, where they are unable to recall parts, or even any, of the procedure.
- Deep. Deep anesthesia is conscious sedation as well, but you are on the brink of unconsciousness. You may even fall asleep during treatment.
- General anesthesia. With general anesthesia, you are made to sleep through your treatment.
Sedation is often recommended for patients who feel anxiety or fear when it comes to getting dental care, whether it is a simple cleaning and exam or a surgical procedure. It enables you to relax and feel comfortable, which allows us to perform your necessary procedures in a safe, effective manner. Sedation may be recommended for other reasons as well. These include
- You have a low tolerance for pain.
- Your teeth are very sensitive.
- Your gag reflex is strong.
- You have trouble sitting still.
- You require a significant amount of dental work.
If the idea of getting any type of dental care, no matter how minor, causes you fear and panic, you are not alone. Sedation can help you to relax, allowing you to get your necessary care when you need it, preventing serious consequences later. To learn more about your sedation options, call OHIOSmiles at (740) 439-2501 today.