Trusted Orthodontic Solutions
When your teeth are crooked, it can have a serious impact on more than just your oral health. Crooked teeth can impact your overall health and can even lead to significant pain in your temporomandibular joints, your neck, and your back. Fortunately, you do not have to live with these issues. At OHIOSmiles, we can realign your teeth, vastly improving your quality of life with braces.
What Are Braces?
Braces are an orthodontic treatment designed to correct alignment issues with your teeth or your jaws. They can even be used if you your mouth is affected by both of these issues. Braces are a common treatment that has been in use for quite some time and they are extremely effective. They consist of three basic components:
- Brackets. The brackets are bonded to the front surfaces of your teeth and remain in place throughout the duration of your treatment.
- Bands. The bands are attached around your back teeth. They anchor the wires in place.
- Wires. The wires stretch across an entire arch of teeth, anchored at the back of the mouth. They are affixed to each bracket with the assistance of small elastic O-rings.
Depending on your specific needs, there are other components that may be used as well. These components may include such things as rubber bands or springs. We can help to determine the best course of action for you based on your situation.
How Do Braces Work?
The wires of your braces are responsible for the bulk of the work. The wires put pressure on your teeth. This then puts pressure on your periodontal ligaments, the structures that help to hold your teeth securely in place. The ligaments widen with this pressure, which loosens your teeth. The wires then work to guide your teeth into alignment. Once your teeth are in their proper positions, your braces then work to hold them still while the bone and ligaments heal. New tissues generally begin to start growing after about 3 months, and it can take about a year for your teeth to stabilize fully.
Who Gets Braces?
Braces are common for adolescents between the ages of 11 and 13. Around these ages, the jaw is still growing, and the teeth are easier to move. Children are recommended to have an orthodontic evaluation by the age of 7, which will help to determine the presence or likelihood of orthodontic issues. Treatment generally begins after the last of the adult teeth come in. However, older teens and adults can get braces as well. Adults may get braces because they were unable to afford treatment at an earlier age or because their teeth have begun to shift out of alignment again even though they underwent orthodontic treatment at a younger age.
Benefits Of Braces
There are several benefits associated with braces:
- Braces straighten your teeth, greatly improving the appearance of your smile. As a result, your confidence can increase as well.
- Your oral health is improved. Your mouth is easier to keep clean, reducing your risk for cavities and gum disease. Additionally, unnecessary stresses are removed from your teeth, reducing the risk of damage.
- Issues like bruxism and TMD are eliminated.
- Your chewing is improved, which helps to improve your digestion and your overall nutrition.
- Correcting alignment issues can help to protect the health and integrity of your jawbone.
Enhance Your Smile With Braces
If crooked teeth are affecting your smile, and your quality of life, braces can help. Call OHIOSmiles at (740) 439-2501 for more information and to schedule your consultation today.