Your smile is a key component in the impressions you make. To make a good impression, you want a beautiful smile. One of the major factors in the quality of your smile is the condition of your teeth. Flaws in your front teeth, even minor ones, can significantly impact the appearance of your smile. There are many types of minor flaws that can affect the appearance of your teeth, including unevenness. At OHIOSmiles, we can correct uneven teeth with tooth recontouring.
What Is Tooth Recontouring?
Tooth recontouring, also known as cosmetic contouring, is a procedure that is performed to improve the look and the feel of your teeth. It is a non-invasive treatment that makes minor changes to the appearance of your teeth, evening them out for a more natural, beautiful smile. It is a safe, painless procedure that does not require any type of anesthetic. Tooth recontouring can be used in a number of different situations, including:
- Small chips in your tooth enamel.
- Minor overlapping.
- Oddly shaped teeth.
- Teeth that are longer than the rest.
How Is Tooth Recontouring Done?
Prior to undergoing a tooth recontouring, we first perform an oral exam. We look over your teeth and take x-rays. The exam is essential for making sure that a tooth recontouring will provide you with the best cosmetic results. Tooth recontouring is only to correct minor flaws in your teeth. If you have larger flaws, you may require an alternative cosmetic treatment, such as veneers or crowns. Treating larger flaws with tooth recontouring can actually compromise the affected teeth, leaving them susceptible to damage.
Tooth recontouring is done using a specialized tool that grinds away small amounts of tooth enamel quickly. It allows for the effective, efficient removal of minor flaws. The tool also works to buff and polish the teeth, providing you with a beautiful result.
The Benefits Of Tooth Recontouring
Tooth recontouring provides you with a number of significant benefits.
- Recontouring is quick. The procedure can usually be completed in less than half an hour.
- There is no pain with this treatment. There is no need for a local anesthetic, which means there is no need for needles.
- You see the results immediately.
- In addition to improving the quality of your smile, your oral health is improved. Certain types of imperfections, such as minor overlapping, can create hiding places for oral bacteria. Tooth recontouring eliminates these hiding places, reducing your risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
- The procedure is very affordable.
Are There Any Disadvantages?
While there are several benefits associated with tooth recontouring, there are some disadvantages as well.
- It cannot be used for larger flaws. Tooth recontouring can only be used for small imperfections in the teeth. Larger flaws should be treated with other treatments, such as veneers or crowns.
- Tooth recontouring does come with the risk of tooth damage. Enough of your tooth enamel needs to be left behind to provide protection for the tooth. If too much is removed, the teeth become compromised.
If uneven teeth are affecting your smile, tooth recontouring can help. For more information, and to schedule your consultation to find out if tooth recontouring is right for you, call OHIOSmiles at (740) 439-2501 today.